Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Faith

I think I've mentioned before that my faith in God is a very new thing.  I have never known my parents to attend church.  My dad likes to tell a story about the few months of time they attempted to take me when I was around 3 or 4 years old.  They would drop me off at the bible study classroom and when they would pick me up my dad  would ask, "what did you learn today?".  Apparently I always replied in a very bored tone, "Just more Jesus stuff".  They quickly stopped making me go, since I obviously had no interest in it.

I love my parents with all my heart and they did an absolutely fantastic job raising me.  But this is the one area where I feel that they failed me, at least a little.  I was raised by all accounts to be a christian, we just never mentioned the name God.  I remember asking my dad about it when I was a teenager and he told me that he grew up attending a strict church and hated the hypocrisy of the people he saw there every Sunday.  When he went to college he stopped attending church, and although he tried out a few from time to time, he said he continued to see the same hypocrisy.  I can't blame him for not wanting to attend a church like that, I wouldn't either.

When I met Andy this was the one sticky point between us.  He had been raised attending a wonderful Baptist church and held a very strong belief.  I remember him crying to me one day that he was terrified that we would be separated, him going to heaven and me going to hell for my lack of faith.  I remember being so offended and hurt.  He knew that I was a good person, why in the world did he think I would go to hell?  I didn't understand at the time, I wasn't ready to understand.

A year and a half ago Andy convinced me to attend a Christmas Eve service at a Baptist church in town.  Honestly, there wasn't much convincing needed.  I think he mentioned wanting to attend one, so I researched until I found a church that sounded like a good fit.  Sitting in the pews at that service I remember getting goosebumps on my arms and tears stinging my eyes.  I felt His presence.  I didn't really know what that meant at the time and Andy and I allowed excuses to keep us from going back for a little over a year.  When Christmas 2010 rolled around I was disappointed that Andy didn't want to attend the Christmas Eve service.  We had had a bunch of family over that day and would have had to rush to make it on time, but I still wanted to go.  I wanted that feeling back that I had had the previous year.  We compromised and agreed to go on Sunday. 

I don't think it's any coincidence that 12/26/10, five days before we found out we were pregnant, was the day we really began going to church together.  I remember feeling like an outsider.  I didn't want to sing the words to the songs, because I wasn't sure I believed them.  But listening to them I again got goosebumps and had to struggle not to cry.  I felt peaceful during the service and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about God.  I wasn't sure how I really felt, or what I believed, but I knew I wanted to continue to go to church to find out. 

The following Sunday I sat through the service with my hand resting on my stomach and a secret smile inside my heart.  We were going to be parents.  Suddenly the words of the service took on an entirely new meaning, and I was ready to hear them.  A few days later when I began to miscarry our precious baby, Andy asked me if I wanted to pray.  I had never done it before, I didn't know how.  So he wrapped me in his arms and prayed out loud for me.  I cried but I felt a sense of calm and peace.  I suddenly felt that God was there listening to us.  I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that even if he wouldn't answer these particular prayers he was still listening.

Andy and I have continued to pray together this way every night since them.  I now pray on my own too.  Mostly I go outside to our tree that we planted for our baby and whisper my prayer to God.  But I find myself doing it at other times too.  When I was in Oregon, dealing with my Grandpa's rapid decline and then death I prayed a lot.  I felt that God was listening and found a great deal of comfort.  Even the plane ride to and from Oregon was tremendously different.  I am terrified of flying, I hate the bumps.  But this time I just closed my eyes and prayed to God.  I told him that I knew my life was his and that I trusted him.  I then felt a tremendous peace and wasn't afraid any more.

My faith has grown so much this year.  Once I believed in God, I got mad at him for taking away our baby.  But I've found peace with that as well.  I'm not happy that I never got to hold my baby, but I find comfort knowing that they are in heaven and I will meet them one day.  I know that God has perfect timing and a perfect plan for Andy and myself.  For our family.  I know that when his time is right we will have our healthy pregnancy and healthy baby.  It's still a struggle not to want more than God can give me right now.  But ultimately I have faith.  I know with all my heart that even if God does not answer my prayer, He is still listening.  To rip off a really good song, sometimes the best things in life come from unanswered prayers.  I don't know what the future holds, but I have faith that there is a reason certain prayers have not been answered yet.  Greater things are yet to come and greater things are yet to be done.

At the end of every service there is a call for people to come forward to profess their faith and to be baptized if they haven't been before.  Andy had lightly encouraged me for awhile, saying that when I was ready he would go forward with me.  A few weeks ago I suddenly felt that God was telling me "Now".  So I grabbed Andy's hand and we walked forward together.  After the service people came to shake our hands and I started to cry.  Again with the inappropriate reactions!  But I was just so incredibly happy and thankful to have found God and to have found a home at a wonderful church filled with amazing people.  So tomorrow I will be baptized!  I am so incredibly excited and thankful.  I know that tomorrow starts a new journey and a new life for me and for Andy.

2 comments:

  1. That was a beautiful post Melissa. I was raised in a religious family and I still had my faith shaken during my first miscarriage. It took me a long time to finally let go. I am so glad you have found that peace. I posted this quote last week: "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart." Even with losing another one this past week I do feel peace in knowing that God knows me and my heart and He will bless me to have another child someday. I feel like He was testing me to see if I was going to waver like I did last time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I'm loving your blog and everything you've been writing about hits home to me. I just wrote in my last post how I've never been mad @ god in this process but only used to ? So much. Now I know that all I have to do is believe. And where I've always believed, I have more faith than I ever have. When you wrote about your husband praying out loud, the tears started coming...so beautiful. Praying brings such peace to me and like you said a sense of calmness. It almost indescribable.
    And as always, you're in my thoughts and prayers
    Xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete