Friday, June 24, 2011

Holy Inappropriate Reaction, Batman!

After work I got to go have dinner with a friend.  After eating far too much food and drinking a creme soda (brewed at the restaurant), I arrived home fat and happy.  Andy told me that we needed cat food and we had to go tonight.  So I changed into some comfy sweats and off we went.

At Petsmart I saw the cutest jaguar stuffed toy and just had to buy it for Zoe.  I knew she would love it!  We also picked up two bags of cat food and headed to the cashier.  She rang us up and Andy slid his card through.  Declined.

Our credit card company is a pain in the butt.  They have this fantastic fraud alert program that sends you an e-mail and calls you to let you know they think your card might be being used fraudulently.  Sounds great, right?  Except that they deactivate the card before they send the alert to you, then you have to call them to confirm your purchase and get it turned back on.  I can appreciate them trying to protect our money, but it is so incredibly embarrassing to have your credit card declined!

So Andy and I have the cashier delete our ticket and I go off to make the phone call.  I figured the fraud alert was because last night we bought plane tickets to Las Vegas and booked a hotel room.  It was a heftier charge than normally gets placed on our card.  Nope, that's not what they thought was fraudulent.  It was a $10 video game purchase Andy had made online.  Seriously?  You don't flag our card for plane tickets, but you do for a video game?

So Andy goes back through the line and purchases our goods, while I wait on hold to talk to a supervisor.  We head out to the car and Andy puts the toy and food in the back while I talk.  Turns out the supervisor can't change anything and our card will continue to be deactivated when "the system" thinks we make a fraudulent purchase.  I get off the phone and burst into tears.

Andy looks at me like I've grown a second head and asks if I'm okay.  No, I'm not okay!  Does it look like I'm okay?  It takes me all of 30 seconds to realize I have no reason to be crying and I don't know why I am.  I was back to being happy in less than a minute.  Talk about an inappropriate reaction!  Oh well, at least Zoe likes her jaguar.

2 comments:

  1. awww hun, i'm so sorry for the way the end of the night turned out for you. i can sympathize on feeling like that. i do that far too often and steve just stares at me, like, "what just happened here?"...
    i know you have a lot on your mind and sometimes it is the little things that just push you over the edge. and it's probably good you had a quick cry! :) i hope that your night got better and your credit card situation got resolved. and vegas, yay! i love it. steve and i got married in vegas. so funny, bc yesterday morning, we had the same cat food dilemma. we ran out and twinkie, our chubbo cat, literally was pulling the "look at me mom, meowing, inching his way towards the empty food bowl, walking backwards with a pouty face gig" like, "lady, you better get me some grub"...so steve went out and got him some and don't ya know when i fill his bowl, he doesn't eat it. HA...
    that picture of is adorable, btw.
    have a fantastic weekend!
    thinking of u!
    <3
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! That happened to me once and it so embarrassing! I probably would have cried too!

    ReplyDelete