Monday, July 25, 2011

We have a plan!

After all my anxiety the appointment was actually amazing!  I absolutely love my new OB.  She took 30 minutes at the beginning of the appointment to sit with me, talk about everything, review my charts, and discuss a plan.  Since I've had two pap smears within the past few months (thanks to my last OB losing the first specimen, grr), I didn't have to have another one.  She just did a quick physical and pelvic exam.

So our plan is this:  Since today is CD1 I will be going in for CD3 bloodwork on wednesday.  That blood work will include testing of my Rh factor to see if that's an issue.  Andy will be submitting his SA sample sometime this week too.  I'll be doing 7DPO bloodwork sometime mid August.  If anything comes back abnormal, we'll design a plan around that.  If everything is normal but we're not KU I will be going in for an ultrasound and an HSG at the beginning of next cycle (around CD 7).  If all of that is normal we'll have the fun diagnosis of unexplained infertility and she will recommend Clomid, probably with IUI.

I'm a little terrified at the idea we might jump to IUI so quickly.  She stated that for those with unexplained infertility she feels that IUI is the best chance to conceive quickly.  She was open to the idea of a cycle or two of monitored clomid first.  I think right now I'm going to wait to see what all of our testing reveals before I think about this too much.

My new OB strongly recommended acupuncture, so since I was off of work early I decided to call for an appointment.  Several months ago, probably in February, I bought a Groupon deal for two acupuncture sessions at a local clinic.  I went to one right away, but wasn't a fan so I've had the second appointment to use up for quite awhile.  The guy told me that if I could show up by 3pm today he could fit me in.  So I had 19 needles stuck in me today, and I liked it!  The acupuncturist specifically chose spots related to fertility, and I was able to actually relax and take a small nap this time.  I have another appointment scheduled with him on August 16th.

At the end of the appointment he asked me to stick out my tongue.  He immediately went, "Ohh, your tongue definitely shows significant problems!"  I seriously struggled to keep a straight face as he explained that my tongue indicates my body has a problem managing hot and cold.  According to him my body will overheat or freeze because I don't regulate temperature well.  Umm, okay.  He tried to convince me to take some herbs, but I told him since I'm having testing done I don't want to take anything different.  Maybe it's totally legitimate, but I have a hard time believing anyone can diagnose me based on the appearance of my tongue. 

So all in all this is probably the happiest I've been on CD1 since before we started TTC.  I wish I had gotten a BFP this last cycle, but I'm happy to at least have a plan and hopefully some answers soon!  Thank you to everyone who commented on my last entry.  Reading your comments really brightened the past few days for me!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a happy ob appt!! I'm so glad to hear how you are taking this cycle on with a positive outlook :) I'm sorry for your bfp but what a great way to start this new cycle nice n fresh!
    I lol @ the "tongue diagnosis" i'd be cracking up too if I were you.
    So many rave about acupuncture...sounds so relaxing!
    Happy Monday to you...lots of good baby vibes for this cycle!
    Xoxoxo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lady once offer to diagnose my issues by looking at the lines in my eyes. Calm me a skeptic but I declined. The tongue is certainly a new one! LOL Having a plan is a good feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you have a plan! I hope the acupuncture helps too. KMFX for ya! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you have a plan. I know I was hugely relieved when we got started on meds and testing. It helps to know that I was doing something to figure it out or make a difference.
    Acupuncture is part of my routine too. The tongue thing is a little weird, but they might be onto something. I make sure to look at my tongue before and after each appointment and I do see changes (I don't know what they mean of course). I've found that if nothing else, acupuncture is helpful in getting me to slow down physically and mentally once a week. :)
    I hope you get your BFP soon! Happy ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very glad you have a plan and a good doctor! That makes all the difference in the world - I felt amazing after I switched doctors!

    So happy that you are feeling good right now.

    ICLW #104

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you have a plan! And reading your last post...I just wanted to say you only have to decide things one step at a time...you don't need to decide how all of this getting to your baby is going to look. It can be stressful and overwhelming but you can do it! I think a good doctor is key, and sounds like you have one.
    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete